Today’s life is predominantly unwinding ‘online’, information mainly travels between the computers and it is not exaggeration to say that the world is overall connected. While internet and other types of interconnection represent technological innovation and therefore make our work and lives much easier, they also harbor potential safety threats. The latest reports from industry experts estimate that over 90% of computers connected to the internet are currently infected with some type of virus or spyware. Later is the reason Geeknician encourages you to implement some proactive security measures, which will help you keep your personal information safe, data secured and outside intruders outside.
General tips for keeping your data safe and protected
- Use software protection – antivirus and antispyware software install (and regular update) is essential step in protecting your data and keeping your computer secured and operating.
- Use firewall – firewall blocks dangerous programs, spyware and viruses before they gain access to your system. Firewall is available in various forms of software or hardware-based protection.
- Update your operating system – updating your operating system will repair the initial system security holes that intruders/hackers love to exploit.
- Backup your important data – save important files on a separate media device such as CD or DVD drive, external hard disk drive, USB drive etc. This will preserve your data even in a case of fatal computer malfunction, such as for example hard drive crash.
- Stay away from websites of ill repute – these are fertile soil for annoying and dangerous intruders like viruses or spyware.
- Avoid opening emails with suspicious content or from unknown sources – harmful emails can infect your computer with viruses or spyware. If you’re not confident in email content or its sender, it is best not to open files, download any programs or click to hyperlinks sent to you by strangers.
• Secunia OSI – Scan your computer for security vulnerabilities
The Secunia Online Software Inspector, or short OSI, is a fast way to scan your PC for the most common programs and vulnerabilities, thus checking if your PC has a minimum security baseline against known patched vulnerabilities.
Use the Secunia OSI to get a feel for the Secunia Software Inspector technology, then upgrade to the Secunia PSI or CSI, which covers practically all programs on your PC, whereas the OSI checks less than 100 programs.
Use Microsoft Security Essentials to guard against viruses, spyware, and other evil software. It provides real-time protection for your home or small business PCs.
Microsoft Security Essentials is free* and we designed it to be simple to install and easy to use. It runs quietly and efficiently in the background so you don’t have to worry about interruptions or making updates.
* Your PC must run genuine Windows to install Microsoft Security Essentials.
Malwarebytes products have a proven record of protecting computers by completely removing all forms of malware, including viruses, Trojans, spyware, adware and rootkits. When it comes to the safety of your computer, Malwarebytes provides the ultimate in protection from the cutting edge of technology!
Security information regarding Windows Updates released monthly.
Patching insecure programs helps safeguard your data and PC against cybercriminals. Secunia PSI is a security scanner which identifies programs that are insecure and need updates. It even automates the updating of many of these programs, making it a lot easier to maintain a secure PC.
CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC. It protects your privacy online and makes your computer faster and more secure. Easy to use and a small, fast download.
Use Defraggler to defrag your entire hard drive, or individual files – unique in the industry. This compact and portable Windows application supports NTFS and FAT32 file systems.
Google Chrome runs websites and applications with lightning speed.
OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.
Adobe® Reader® software is the free global standard for reliably viewing, printing, and commenting on PDF documents. It’s the only PDF file viewer that can open and interact with all types of PDF content, including forms and multimedia.
Adobe® Flash® Player is a cross-platform, browser-based application runtime that provides uncompromised viewing of expressive applications, content, and videos across browsers and operating systems.